What is “vaping”?
• Vaping products (electronic cigarettes or e-cigarettes) are devices that heat a liquid
into an aerosol that is inhaled into the lungs
• The liquid (sometimes referred to as e-juice) in a vape product contains a
combination of ingredients, usually including nicotine (the highly addictive drug
found in tobacco products)
What are the health effects of vaping?
• Nicotine dependence (nicotine reduces blood flow to the gingival tissues (your
“gums”), which denies them the oxygen and nutrients required to stay healthy)
• Xerostomia (aka. dry mouth) which leads to halitosis (bad breath), gingivitis,
periodontitis, viral and fungal infections, and tooth loss
• Higher risk of oral cancer, “popcorn lung” (damage to your lungs’ airways), lung
cancer, and COPD
• Potential chemical exposure/chemical burns of highly toxic substances due to the
heating of the flavour compounds
• Educate yourself! Learn the risks associated with vaping and vape products
• Monitor your symptoms (if you are currently a vape user) – Are you experiencing
shortness of breath? Do you have a chronic cough?
• Talk to a professional about clinically proven ways to stop vaping!
***NON-SMOKERS, PREGNANT WOMEN, PEOPLE WITH PRE-EXISTING HEALTH CONDITIONS AND PEOPLE WHO HAVE ALREADY QUIT VAPING SHOULD NOT VAPE**
Written By : Michelle,Dental Hygienist, Maple Mews Dental Office, Burlington,Ontario