At Maple Mews Dental , we pride ourselves in making each and every dental appointment as comfortable for each patient as we can. We understand that most people don’t like visiting the dentist, only a few really love regular visits with the dentist and dental hygienist.
Do you have a hard time even entering the dental office? Do you have anxiety just scheduling a dental visit?
Lynn, a patient at our dental practice, recommends breathing techniques to reduce anxiety and stress including before and during your dental visit . Deep breathing or “belly breathing” can help you to relax and reduce anxiety. When we deep breathe our brain is sent a message to calm down and relax.
“Belly Breathing” is simple to learn and easy to do, and is very relaxing. Try “belly breathing” when you are anxious about calling, talking to, or visiting the dentist or dental office. It is easy to do at home, in the reception room at the dental office or even in the dental chair. Belly breathing can be used anytime to relax and relieve stress.
How to Belly Breathe.
- Sit or lie flat in a comfortable position.
- Put one hand on your belly
- Take a deep breath in through your nose, taking about 5 seconds to take the breath, then take another 5 seconds releasing the breathe, through your nose. Notice your belly pushing out your hand on the exhale.
- Do this breathing 3 to 10 times. Take your time with each breath.
- Notice the relaxed feeling in your body as you continue with each breath.
We hope this simple technique will help put you at ease during your next dental visit !
For more relaxation techniques including restorative yoga ( which I love , it is so relaxing) , you can visit Lynn at www.yogawithlynn.ca
Laura , Maple Mews Dental