Halloween, like other holidays, is a time that we like to indulge in extra candy and sweets! Tooth decay occurs when the bacteria in dental plaque produces acids: when this bacterial acid remains on the teeth for long periods of time .. “ the sugar bugs” as we often call them can damage the tooth enamel and lead to damage to the tooth or a cavity. Thus, the more snacking we do or allow or children to do, the more prone we are to cavities and to damaging our teeth .
At Maple Mews Dental we suggest :
- Choose snacks wisely — all the time not just at Halloween
- Remember that sticky snacks are usually not a good choice for your teeth
- Eat sugary snacks and drinks at one time … instead of snacking continually
- At Halloween choose to keep only a few items and donate the rest
- Immediately after indulging on the few treats , rinse with water, brush and floss
- Replace the sticky sweet snacks with better ones for your overall health and oral health. Choose snacks like yogurt, vegetables and dip, chocolate milk or cheese!
- Brush 3 times a day for 2 minutes
- Parents help your children with brushing and flossing
- Visit your dental regularly
At Maple Mews Dental we LOVE Halloween too! We love your smile and want to help you to make the best choices to keep you smiling! If you have any questions about good snacks to keep a healthy smile , contact us today or talk to us at your next dental visit!
Happy Halloween from the Maple Mews Dental Team!