Making good choices is what it is all about ! Of course your children can enjoy Halloween and Trick or Treating if that is what you choose! At Maple Mews Dental, our team educates all year about tooth decay and the effects of sugary snacks and
drinks. We provide our patients with a list of good snacks & bad snacks for your teeth. This helps when making decisions about your child’s oral health and choosing the best foods for snacks and lunches! Some children are just more prone to cavities. Our goal at Maple Mews Dental, is to work with you to help prevent cavities and oral health problems. Along with eating healthy, limiting sugary snacks and drinks we instil and encourage good oral hygiene habits at home and encourage regular dental visits.
So what’s the deal with Halloween :
Halloween, like other holidays, is a time that we like to indulge in extra candy and sweets! Tooth decay occurs when the bacteria in dental plaque produces acids: when this bacterial acid remains on the teeth for long periods of time .. “ the sugar bugs” as we often call them can damage the tooth enamel and lead to damage to the tooth or a cavity. Thus , the more snacking we do or allow or children to do , the more prone we are to cavities and to damaging our teeth .
At Maple Mews Dental we suggest :
• Let your child pick out their favourite few Halloween treats ( 10-12 )
• Choose a time or couple of times that your child will eat these treats at one or two seatings
• Donate , toss or even freeze the remainder of the treats
• Immediately after indulging on the few treats , rinse with water, brush and floss to remove all plaque and bacteria
• Replace the sticky , sweet snacks with better ones for your overall health and oral health. These snacks can include yogurt, favourite vegetables and dip, chocolate milk , or cheese
• Visit your dentist regularly
At Maple Mews Dental we LOVE Halloween too ! We love your smile and want to help you to make the best choices to keep you smiling! If you have any questions about good snacks to keep a healthy smile , contact us today or talk to us at your next dental visit!
Happy Halloween from the Maple Mews Dental Team !